Tuesday, December 16, 2008

belated post: 18 Nov 2008: Lake Matheson, Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier

Did not go for the sun rise this morning because it was too cloudy. CY said it is unlikely we will see anything. So we slept till 8am. Washed up, packed up and left Fox Glacier Holiday Park. Drove to Lake Matheson. Lake Matheson is listed as a must-see because of the mirror reflection of Mount Cook and Mount Tasman on the lake. We walked to the 1st viewing point, which is a 20mins walk. Couldn't see any reflection at all. So walked on to the reflection island. Too cloudy to see a nice reflection of the mt peaks. Compared to the lakes reflection I saw in Canada, this one is so-so only.

After the 1 hour plus walk, we had late breakfast at Matheson Cafe. After which, we proceeded to Fox Glacier. We did not do the Fox Glacier walk, so we just walked in to the bottom of glacier. There were a river to cross and I am glad for my Hi-Tec shoes. It is really waterproof and kept my foot dry although I stepped into the water. Did not make it to touch the glacier because xl's shoes are not waterproof.

Franz Josef's Glacier looks so much more majestic than the Fox Glacier. Don't know why the guidebook says that it is more rewarding to do glacier walking at Fox. Reason stated was that S_ and C_ are more accessible at Fox. Got to go check out what are these. The next time I come, maybe I should do both glacier walks? Or one glacier walk an one heli-hike? Ha.. going to be damn expensive.. For sure not going to stay at Fox Glacier town next time. Franz Josef Glacier town is better. More eatery and supermarket as well. Don't look that sad.

Saw a lot of campervans/caravans on the way. Am considering to rent that the next time I come with dear. Not a bad idea right?

Tonight we are staying in Greymouth Top 10 Holiday Parks. I like the place and our unit. Feels very clean and warm and not old. The facilities here for campervans are very good as well. Checked briefly on the cost of the campervan... $70plus a day for a size suitable for 2 pax with equipment like fridge, microwave, etc. I think it is quite reasonable since this rental covers both transport and accommodation. Quite excited talking about it. Hahaa..

Mood now: Calm..
MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment