Saw an interesting article from RainToday.com about selling based on trust - Friends, Motives & Profits: Avoiding Fear-Based Selling by Charles H. Green.
The article is written in a very enlightening way and it allows reader to realize, without doubt, whether does he or she have a trust gap when doing sales. And the sentence that stays with me most vividly is:
Relationship (with potential customer) is not a means to a sale. Sale is the outcome of a relationship.
A lot of salesperson build a relationship in order to close a deal and I feel this is very hypocritical. Of course, it is not solely the responsibility of the salesperson. The people at the top management plays a huge and significant role. If upper management only cares about short-term profit, salesperson will sell based on fear. But if management can include KPIs like 'number of repeat purchases', 'number of customers who are referred to by existing customers, etc', salesperson will then be more open to the idea of building relationship sincerely and selling based on trust. Such KPI data are not that difficult to obtain, especially if the company has good client database system.
I am not a sales person nor am I working in a big company so I don't if such system are in place and practiced actively. From a consumer point of view, it doesn't seem that there are such KPIs because a lot of salesperson are only interested to close sale. whenever i display any sign that i won't buy anything on the spot, they gave me a look of contempt! this was the case with citispa a few days back. i wanted to write in to complain but I wonder if it is worth effort. Because a brief search online reveals that the boss seems to be more interested in profit. That explains everything i guess..
Anyway, the article had been great. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment