Thursday, October 19, 2006

Time Machine - Smell & Music

Have you all ever being transported back in time by smell? Out of sudden, you smell this familar smell and instantly, you are transported to the very first time and location where you smelled this. Physically, you are still in the existing time zone but mentally, you went back in time. You could vividly recall the settings of that particular place where you smelled this. The feelings you had then immediately flood back into your mind. If the smell reminded you of a memorable period or time, you would relax, take a deep breathe and go back in time to soak yourself in that happy feeling/memory.

That was what I encountered yesterday. I was in my office's toilet and somehow, the toilet had a very familiar smell yesterday. It was the smell of the toilet in Best Western Hotel, Seattle. It reminded me of the period of time when I was in Seattle. It brought back alot of memories and sentiments. Those were memories so deeply etched in my heart. And amist all the work stuff which I am preoccupied with, a smell is all that it needs to bring me back to that time.

It is the same for music. In different chapters of your life, there will definitely be songs that are especially significant. Those songs later became a time machine. No matter how many years later, the moment you heard those songs, you will immediately recall that particular chapter of your life. For me, memorable songs during:
- Primary school: Runaway Train, Xi Meng, Ye Ju Hua
- Secondary school: POP songs such as Pass it On, Yesterday Once More, It's Hard to Say I am Sorry, etc
- JC: Colors of the Wind which was sang during Orientation Night and also "Lao Tian, Jiu Jiu Wo Ba" because I always hear this song while traveling back home.
- Uni: a short melody which Gerald put in for our tourism project.
- TIP: Love will keep us alive, I'm leaving on a jetplane and many more which I put in the laptop during my stay in USA.

The power of smell and music... It brought us back to re-experience those sentiments and memories. Some might lament,'But we can't go back physically and can't change anything that we wish we had done differently.' Well, you only go through life once and that is why memories are so precious.

It's already 2am and I am feeling very tired after a very long day at work. But I would really want to write the above down.

It is going to be another long day at work tomorrow. Hope everything goes smoothly and all things done up. Now I am not really yearning for the days off or rest after the project ends. Instead, I am yearning for things at work to return to normal and allow me to have the time to do my job scope stuff. For my job scope, I have alot of things to learn, to try and to see effect. Ya, I think back to normal is the best words to describe. On top of that, I will also want to have the time to look into IFCT as well as writing. All the Best! Hang on There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment